About Us

Woodquay Hostel Front
Earlier maps shows the Woodquay area outside the city walls and composed of at least three islands (tributaries of the Corrib). The land was poor and marshy and on these the poor natives eked out a precarious existence. By the turn of the century however Woodquay was evolving into its present day form.
Today Woodquay is fully integrated with the old town (the old city wall is long since gone) and the road leading to the Salmon Weir carries most of the city’s east – west traffic. Yet it’s tree laden walk has been classed as one of the nicest scenic areas in the city and well worth a visit by both tourists and locals alike. The present day hostel was formally known as St Anne’s and is one of a terrace called St Brendan’s. It was built on the Dolan Estate. Very Rev Father Dooley P.P. St Nicholas North and East built the Woollen Mills in Newtownsmyth in 1903 and afterwards built St Brendan’s Road and St Brendan’s Terrace area in 1905-1907 for the employees of the Mills.

Pages: 1 2